Introduction to Butter Chicken
Butter chicken, sometimes known as “Murgha Makhani” in Hindi, is a mouth watering dish that’s loved by food enthusiasts all around the world. It’s a classic North Indian delicacy that combines tender pieces of chicken with a rich, creamy tomato sauce. This dish is celebrated for its heavenly combination of flavors and textures. In this post we will discuss about Top 7 most popular Restaurants for their best Butter Chicken in Delhi.
Imagine succulent chunks of chicken, marinated in a medley of aromatic spices, and then simmered in a velvety tomato gravy that’s generously enriched with butter and cream. The result is a dish that’s not only comforting but also incredibly flavorful.
Butter chicken has a fascinating history and has become an integral part of Indian cuisine. It’s one of those dishes that perfectly represents the amalgamation of tradition and modernity, making it a must-try for anyone exploring Indian flavors.
In this blog post, we’ll take you on a culinary journey through the bustling streets and cozy restaurants of Delhi, where you can find some of the Best Butter Chicken in Delhi. So, if you’re a fan of creamy, savory, and utterly delicious food, you’re in for a treat as we explore the delectable world of best butter chicken in Delhi. Get ready to tantalize your taste buds and discover the secrets behind this beloved dish.
Who Invented Butter Chicken
Butter chicken, that creamy, tomato-y, and utterly delicious Indian dish, has a fascinating history. Have you ever wondered who came up with this mouthwatering creation? Let’s take a tasty journey through time to find out.
The story of butter chicken begins in the heart of India, in a place called Delhi. Back in the 1950s, there was a restaurant known as Moti Mahal in Old Delhi. This eatery was famous for its tandoori chicken, cooked in a clay oven, and it was run by a brilliant chef named Kundan Lal Gujral.
Chef Kundan Lal was innovative and didn’t like to waste food. One day, he had some leftover tandoori chicken from the previous day. Instead of letting it go to waste, he decided to get creative. He simmered the leftover chicken in a rich tomato-based gravy, added some cream, and a generous amount of butter – thus, butter chicken was born!
The dish was an instant hit, with its perfect balance of flavors and tender chicken. People from all over Delhi flocked to Moti Mahal to savor this delightful creation. The restaurant’s reputation grew, and soon, butter chicken became a beloved dish not just in Delhi but all across India.
Chef Kundan Lal’s invention didn’t stop there. He continued to experiment, and his culinary prowess led to the creation of another famous dish, chicken tikka masala. Both of these dishes are now cherished around the world and have become staples in Indian cuisine.
So, the next time you indulge in a plate of butter chicken, remember that it was Chef Kundan Lal Gujral who invented this delectable dish by turning leftovers into a culinary masterpiece. His creativity and passion for food have left a lasting legacy in the world of Indian cuisine.
Best Butter Chicken in Delhi
When it comes to butter chicken, Delhi stands in a league of its own. You might have tried this creamy, tomato-based dish in various places, but there’s something truly special about the butter chicken you find in Delhi. So, what makes Delhi’s butter chicken unique? Let’s dive into the reasons that set it apart.
Rich Creaminess :- Delhi’s butter chicken is known for its rich and creamy texture. Unlike other versions that can be watery or too thick, the butter chicken here strikes the perfect balance. It’s velvety, smooth, and oh-so-indulgent, making each bite a delightful experience.
Perfect Spice Blend :- Delhi’s chefs have mastered the art of balancing spices. The blend of spices in the tomato-based gravy is carefully calibrated, creating a harmonious mix of flavors. You’ll taste hints of ginger, garlic, and a touch of sweetness from the tomatoes.
Tandoori Magic :- The chicken in Delhi’s butter chicken is often marinated and cooked in a tandoor (clay oven) before it’s added to the creamy gravy. This step imparts a smoky and charred flavor to the chicken, elevating the dish to a whole new level of deliciousness.
Generous Use of Butter :- As the name suggests, butter chicken is all about the butter. Delhi’s version doesn’t skimp on it. The generous dollops of butter added to the gravy give it a luxurious and indulgent taste that’s hard to resist.
The Onion-Tomato Base :- Delhi’s butter chicken uses a base of finely pureed onions and tomatoes, creating a smooth and luscious sauce. This base is then enriched with cream, butter, and spices, adding layers of flavor to the dish.
Aged for Flavor :- Many restaurants in Delhi take their butter chicken seriously and age it to perfection. This means letting the flavors meld and develop over time, resulting in a more nuanced and delightful taste.
Served with Love :- In Delhi, butter chicken is not just food; it’s an emotion. The chefs and cooks in the city prepare this dish with a lot of love and care, ensuring that each serving is a testament to their culinary expertise.
What makes Delhi’s butter chicken unique is the perfect blend of creamy richness, balanced spices, tandoori magic, generous use of butter, the onion-tomato base, aging for flavor, and the love that goes into making it. It’s a dish that captures the essence of Delhi’s culinary excellence and is a must-try for food enthusiasts visiting the capital city.
Butter Chicken Ingredients
Let’s break down these components in simple terms:
Chicken :- The star of the show is tender pieces of chicken. It’s usually boneless and skinless, making it easy to savor.
Butter :- As the name suggests, butter is a crucial element. It adds richness and that creamy texture to the dish.
Tomatoes :- Tomatoes are used to create the base sauce. They provide a tangy and slightly sweet flavor.
Cream :- Creaminess is a hallmark of butter chicken. Cream, often heavy cream, is added to achieve that velvety consistency.
Yogurt :- Yogurt is used to marinate the chicken. It not only adds a tangy note but also tenderizes the meat.
Spices :- Spices like garam masala, cumin, coriander, and chili powder are used to season the dish. They add depth and complexity to the flavors.
Garlic and Ginger :- Garlic and ginger are typically minced or grated and added for a kick of aromatic freshness.
Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves) :- This ingredient lends a unique, slightly bitter flavor that complements the richness of the dish.
Sugar :- A pinch of sugar can balance the acidity of the tomatoes and enhance the overall taste.
Salt :- Essential for seasoning and enhancing the flavors of all the other ingredients.
Cooking Oil :- Used for sautéing the chicken and other ingredients. It helps prevent sticking and adds a bit of richness.
Fresh Coriander (Cilantro) :- Garnishing with fresh coriander adds a burst of color and a hint of freshness to the dish.
These are the basic ingredients that come together to create the delightful, creamy, and flavorful butter chicken that Delhi is famous for. The secret lies in the balance and combination of these simple yet essential components. As you explore the world of butter chicken, keep an eye out for variations that use unique twists on these classic ingredients.
Butter Chicken Price in Delhi
When it comes to relishing the creamy and delectable flavors of butter chicken in Delhi, one of the factors that often comes to mind is the price. Let’s dive into the cost of indulging in this North Indian delicacy in the capital city.
- Restaurant Dining
If you’re dining out at a restaurant in Delhi, the price of butter chicken can vary widely depending on the establishment. In more budget-friendly eateries, you might find a plate of butter chicken priced around ₹200 to ₹400. Mid-range restaurants typically charge between ₹400 to ₹800 for this dish. If you’re looking for a fine-dining experience, the cost can go even higher, ranging from ₹800 to ₹1500 or more per serving.
- Street Food and Small Joints
Delhi is also known for its street food culture, where you can find delicious butter chicken at much lower prices. In local street stalls and small joints, you might be pleasantly surprised to discover a plate of butter chicken for as little as ₹100 to ₹250. These places often offer a more authentic and pocket-friendly experience.
- Takeout and Delivery
With the rise of food delivery apps, you can now enjoy butter chicken from the comfort of your home or office. Prices for takeout and delivery can be similar to dining in at mid-range restaurants, typically ranging from ₹400 to ₹800, including delivery charges.
- DIY Butter Chicken
For those on a budget or who enjoy cooking, making butter chicken at home can be cost-effective. You can prepare a hearty serving of butter chicken for a family at a fraction of the restaurant prices. The ingredients, including chicken, butter, cream, and spices, are readily available at local markets.
- Lunch and Dinner Deals
Many restaurants in Delhi offer special lunch and dinner deals that include butter chicken along with other dishes at a fixed price. These deals can provide great value for money and are worth considering if you’re dining out with a group.
The price of butter chicken in Delhi can range from affordable to indulgent, depending on where and how you choose to enjoy it. Whether you’re looking for a wallet-friendly option or a lavish dining experience, Delhi’s diverse food scene has something to offer for every budget.
So, the next time you’re craving this mouthwatering dish, you can make an informed choice that suits both your taste buds and your wallet.
Top Restaurants for Best Butter Chicken in Delhi
To make your quest for the Best Butter Chicken in Delhi easier, we’ve compiled a list of the top restaurants in the city that are known for their mouthwatering versions of this iconic dish.
- Moti Mahal Deluxe : Let’s start with a legendary name in the world of butter chicken. Moti Mahal Deluxe claims to be the birthplace of this delectable dish. Their butter chicken boasts tender pieces of tandoori chicken swimming in a luscious tomato-based gravy that’s a perfect blend of creamy and tangy. That’s make them one of the most popular Restaurant for Best Butter Chicken in Delhi.
- Aslam Chicken Corner : This unassuming street-side eatery in Old Delhi is a hidden gem. The butter chicken here is known for its rustic charm and unbeatable taste. It’s a must-visit for anyone seeking an authentic Delhi experience.
- Gali Paranthe Wali : Known primarily for its parathas, this place might not be the first that comes to mind for butter chicken. However, their version of the dish is a delightful surprise, with flavors that will leave you craving more.
- Punjab Grill : If you’re looking for a more upscale dining experience, Punjab Grill is an excellent choice. Their butter chicken is a fine balance of flavors and is presented with a touch of elegance that elevates the dining experience.
- Kake Di Hatti : A bustling eatery in the heart of Old Delhi, Kake Di Hatti serves butter chicken that’s wholesome and comforting. It’s perfect for those who prefer a hearty, homely feel to their meals.
- Dum Pukht : For a royal treat, Dum Pukht at the ITC Maurya offers a regal version of butter chicken. Cooked in the traditional dum style, it’s a dish that’s fit for a king.
- Pind Balluchi : This chain of restaurants serves a creamy and flavorful butter chicken that has won the hearts of many. It’s a family-friendly place with a wide range of North Indian delicacies.
Remember that each of these restaurants adds its own unique touch to butter chicken, making them worth trying for various interpretations of this classic dish. Whether you prefer a cozy corner street joint or an upscale dining experience, Delhi has something to offer for every butter chicken enthusiast.
So, don’t miss the opportunity to explore these top restaurants and savor the best butter chicken in Delhi that Delhi has to offer. Your taste buds will thank you for this unforgettable culinary journey!
Cook Butter Chicken at Home
Butter chicken, with its rich and creamy tomato-based gravy, is a beloved Indian dish that has won hearts around the world. If you’ve ever wondered how to recreate this delectable dish in the comfort of your own kitchen, you’re in the right place. In this blog post, we’ll share some easy-to-follow tips and a delicious butter chicken recipe that will have your taste buds dancing with delight.
- Choose Quality Ingredients :- Start with the best-quality ingredients you can find. Fresh chicken, ripe tomatoes, and aromatic spices are key to a flavorful butter chicken.
- Marination Matters :- Marinate your chicken pieces in yogurt, spices, and a bit of lemon juice for at least 30 minutes. This step enhances the tenderness and flavor of the chicken.
- Slow Cooking :- Cook the chicken slowly over low heat. This allows the flavors to meld together, resulting in a rich and aromatic gravy.
- The Spice Blend :- Create a balanced spice blend using ingredients like cumin, coriander, garam masala, and fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi). Adjust the spice level to your preference.
- Cashew Cream :- For that creamy texture, use cashew cream or a mixture of heavy cream and crushed cashews. This adds a luxurious touch to your butter chicken.
- 500g boneless chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 tomatoes, pureed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons cashew cream
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Marinate the chicken in yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, and red chili powder for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil and butter in a pan. Add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add the chopped onions and sauté until golden brown.
- Stir in the tomato puree and cook until the oil starts to separate from the mixture.
- Add the marinated chicken and cook until it’s no longer pink.
- Sprinkle garam masala and salt, and mix well.
- Pour in the cashew cream and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve hot with naan or rice.
With these tips and an easy-to-follow recipe, you’re now equipped to create restaurant-quality butter chicken in your own kitchen. Enjoy the creamy, buttery goodness of this classic Indian dish with family and friends. Happy cooking!
Feel free to customize the recipe further if needed, and enjoy your homemade butter chicken!